Sermons Important to Millennials
40% of Millennials said they go to church for the sermon
When the survey results came back from the question, “Which most closely describes why you attend church?” I was shocked. I had no idea that 40% of 800 Millennials (320) would choose the sermon. I suspected going into the distribution of the survey that most would choose, “meet people and make friends.”
Here are all the results from the question, “Which most closely describes why you attend church?”
- 17% – meet people/make friends
- 19% – moral values for my kids and family
- 6% – to make myself feel better
- 40% – for the sermon
- 4% – for the worship music
- 13% – to participate in the sacraments
Given the 40%, here are five ways you can reach and engage Millennials through the sermon.
- Preach Jesus in the OT and the NT – Millennials are intrigued by Jesus
- When you preach, reach the Scripture several times and give them an interpretation they can get.
- Preach from a pericope not a proposition
- Give them something to do with the sermon – a challenge or call to action.
- Invite them to join you in practicing the call to action.
For other insights feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com. Join the conversation at @thinkburlap on Twitter.